Caprese Chicken for Summer Nights
Eating seasonal fruits and vegetables can save you money at the grocery store, but also taste better! What we have is a dinner option that is a classic, but in the peak season for tomatoes and fresh basil here in Texas!
What you need:
Chicken breast (raw or leftovers) + fresh tomatoes + fresh basil leaves + mozzarella cheese + balsamic vinegar + salt + black pepper
Option to add more vegetables:
Sauteed onions and mushrooms
Arugula or baby spinach salad with lemon
1. Using leftover grilled chicken or raw chicken breast-
If using raw chicken breasts, sear each side on medium-high heat in the skillet.
2. With the seared or leftover chicken, place in a baking pan. Top with Fresh slices of tomato, salt and pepper.
Cook at 400F for 10-14 minutes. The inside of the breast should reach 165F.
Let it Rest
3. Pull the baked chicken out and drizzle some balsamic vinegar over each piece. Let rest for 4 minutes.
You may choose to measure out your portion of mozzarella cheese (53g/serving) on top of your chicken portion to rest and melt for those 4 minutes.
Add More Veggies
4. We like to add sauteed onions and mushrooms as our cooked vegetable. You may also choose to add a side salad of arugula or baby spinach leaves with some lemon and salt tossed in. Each are great!
5. Serve the cooked chicken with mozzarella and additional fresh sliced tomato; garnish with fresh basil leaves.